Sunday, October 2, 2011

Under all that fur ...

Is a beautiful standard poodle!   I dropped Boomer off for grooming yesterday and when I picked him up, I found before a very regal looking standard parti poodle.   Amazing what a good grooming will do!  I am thrilled with what a wonderful dog Boomer is.  He's house broken, he's good with little dogs, he's good with cats and he's sooooo quiet and so gentle.     I am certain he is going to be snapped up quickly.   He'll be in attendance at the Kingsbury Animal Hospital 5K this coming Saturday in Forest Park.     I've already grown attached to him and though my plan is to move him to another foster home after this week, I know it's not going to be easy.   And we've decided to name him Boomer after the wonderful human that endured a bunch of traffic and rude snoots to save his life!

I took him over to my Mom's today and we stopped at PetSmart on the way.     These simple outings are essential in gauging how a foster interacts in different situations and with different people.   It's also important to show them that a car ride is not always going to end up in a stressful situation.    When we get a foster their first car trips are generally to their new, strange foster home and then on to a vet and/or groomer to be poked, prodded and generally traumatized.      He did really well in PetSmart - he seemed curious of other dogs and let people pet him.   Even a woman who was terrified of dogs pet him because he was behaving so mellow and was so quiet!    Then we went to my Mom's house and he also got to visit with my brother and my nephew.  

Yesterday was quite a busy day that started with an appearance on Today in St. Louis with Kelly  Jackson with a few of our dogs from the group along with Dr. Shaw from Kingsbury Animal Hospital   KAH is having a 5k in Forest Park on October 8 from 8-2 that will benefit our group.    It's going to be a great event and it sounds like it's going to be a beautiful day.  We had Dooley the awesome shepherd/shar pei mix who has been with his foster Mom for about a year.   She does such a great job and has trained him amazingly.   Chuckles was also there - he's this adorable chihuahua who is filled with such love and energy I can't believe he hasn't been adopted yet.   And, of course, Mackie was there.    She was particularly cute and made sure the world recognized her presence.  :)    I'm not sure why, but I had to talk JTK into going down to the station with us since it was his Dad's weekend.     But after he got there, he was pretty excited to get to see how a newscast is put on.    It was really fun to watch the weatherman working with his green screen!

The link to the video is here.   KSDK Video of St. Louis Sr. Dog Project Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment